Autumn is Here!!!
Fall is an exciting time for kids. It brings great outdoor activities, such as playing in the leaves, pciking pumpkins, and Trick-or-Treating!. Here are some helpfull tips to keep us all happy and healthy this Autumn Season!
Take steps to prevent the flu.
- The single best way to protect against the flu is to get vaccinated each year in the fall.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Wash your hands often.
- If you or your child are diagnosed with a communicable illness, stay home and recover!
Get smart about antibiotics.
- Antibiotics can cure bacterial infections, but not viral infections. The common cold and the flu are viral infections, so avoid using antibiotics if you have one of these.
- Using antibiotics when they are not needed causes some bacteria to become resistant to the antibiotic, and therefore stronger and harder to kill.
- See your doctor or nurse to find out if your illness is bacterial or viral.
Have a safe and healthy Halloween.
- Make Halloween festivities fun, safe, and healthy for trick-or-treaters and party guests.
Be prepared for cold weather.
- Exposure to cold temperatures can cause serious health problems. Infants and the elderly are particularly at risk, but anyone can be affected. Know how to prevent health problems and what to do if a cold-weather emergency arises.
- Remember that using space heaters and fireplaces can increase the risk of household fires and carbon monoxide poisoning.